by Matt Sernaker, Managing Editor
Get ready, because the Autobots and Decepticons are back for more with the new Blu-ray release of Transformers Prime: The Complete Second Season. This season, the action and adventure ramps up as the Autobots search for the Iacon Relics, items of immense power that could tip the scale in their battle against evil.
- “Orion Pax” – Parts 1-3: Things aren’t going quite so well for the Autobots, as they must come to terms with the fact that Optimus Prime is no more. Having used the Matrix of Leadership to stop the evil Unicron from the destroying the planet, Prime isn’t quite the same. Gone is Optimus Prime, Leader of the Autobots…In his place stands Orion Pax: former clerk from Cybertron, and old friend of Megatron! Megatron realizes that Prime has lost his memories and decides to take full advantage of the situation. Meanwhile, the Autobots send Jack and Arcee to Cybertron in a desperate attempt to restore their fallen leader. “Orion Pax” is a fantastic start to the season as it gives all of the characters a chance to shine. Jack really gets some great moments as we learn more about the mysterious key that he was given by Prime, and how it ties back to Cybertron itself. The relationship between Orion and Megatronus (Megatron’s old name) comes to the forefront as new details are revealed regarding the start of “The Great War” and how these two close friends became mortal enemies. This is the first time that we have ever seen this story played out in a format other than comics, and it is great to see the level of detail and thought that has gone into maintaining the legacy of these characters.
- “Operation: Bumblebee”- Parts 1-2: The evil human organization known as M.E.C.H. returns to wreak havoc! When Silas and his men steal Bumblebee’s T-Cog (the device that allows him to transform from robot to car), our favorite scout is left defenseless. Meanwhile, Starscream offers to assist M.E.C.H., and offers his knowledge of Cybertronian physiology. This story provided viewers with some new insights into the past histories of Bumblebee and Ratchet, and added a fantastic new level of depth to each of these characters. The question of how Bumblebee lost his voice is finally answered in this engaging two-part installment.
- “Armada”- When Starscream and Airachnid send their new armies to kill Megatron, Bulkhead finds himself trapped in the crossfire! Can the big guy get off of the Decepticon’s warship before everyone is destroyed in the ensuing battle? And more importantly, how did he get up on the ship in the first place? This non-linear story gives Bulkhead a chance to shine as he stands alone against several forces of evil.
- “Triage”- With the Autobots spread across the globe searching for the Iacon Relics, Ratchet turns to Wheeljack for backup. When the two bots stumble upon an opportunity to gain access to the Decepticon database, the chance is too great to pass up. Combining precision with “Wrecker tactics”, Ratchet uses Laserbeak against Soundwave and Megatron. This episode was incredibly enjoyable, as the team-up between the two Autobots felt like a “buddy cop” movie.
- “New Recruit”- Smokescreen makes his first appearance in the series! When a new bot shows up, the team must quickly determine if he is all that he claims to be. Smokescreen jumps at the chance to learn from Optimus Prime, but must also learn the ways of Earth in order to act as a robot in disguise. Smokescreen becomes a key player throughout the rest of the season, and it is very important to watch this crucial introduction!
- “Regeneration”- With time running out, the Autobots launch a last-ditch attack on the Decepticons to retrieve the Omega Keys. Utilizing all of the Iacon Relics in their possession, the heroic bots act with skill and finesse as they kick ass and take down Megatron’s forces. When it seemed that our heroes had finally won, Megatron returns with a counter-offer: hand over the keys and the relics, or Jack, Miko, and Raf will be exposed to the toxic atmosphere of Cybertron.
- “Darkest Hour”- Picking up where the last episode left off, Optimus must choose between restoring his world, or the lives of his friends from Earth. The fearless leader makes the hard decision, and hands over the chance to save his planet. Megatron activates the Omega-Lock, but decides to point its destructive power towards Earth! This truly is the darkest hour for our heroes, as they must destroy their chance for a new world, and save Earth from a full on invasion by the Decepticons! The finale two episodes of the season took the series in a completely different direction than anticipated, and we cannot wait to see the outcome. The Autobots are in hiding. Earth is under siege. Who will stop Megatron now? All this will be answered in Transformers Prime: Season Three!
- Brand-New Interviews with the Creative Team: Shout! Factory DVD Producer Brian Ward leads a decision on the creative process for Transformers Prime: Season Two. This featurette includes new interviews, new concept art, and more behind the scenes looks at the creation process of bringing our favorite characters to the small screen.
- Optimus Prime: Up Close and Personal Panel featuring Larry King and Peter Cullen from San Diego Comic-Con 2012. Didn’t make it to Comic-Con this year? Well Shout! Factory has you covered, as they have graciously included the Larry King interview with Peter Cullen as a special feature for this release. Find out how Peter got his start in the business, and learn how Optimus Prime came to be. This is a must watch featurette for any Transformers fan.
- 1080p Video- As we have noted before, every episode of Transformers Prime feels entirely cinematic. The visuals and imagery are stunning, and seeing them in true 1080p makes the experience that much more enjoyable. It is hard to believe that the creative team has developed such a strong presence on the small screen, because the character design and fluidity is outstanding. This was how Transformers was meant to be handled as a property without question, and the teams at Hasbro, The Hub, and Shout! Factory have really gone all out to provide you with the best story and content that has ever been given to Transformers fans.
- English 5.1 Surround- The Audio quality of this set meets every expectation. The crisp audio makes the experience feel that much more engaging as the Autobots face off against the Decepticons in their weekly battle of good against evil.
- ComicsOnline Interview with Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime) at Comic-Con 2012
- ComicsOnline Exclusive Interview with Frank Welker (Megatron)
- ComicsOnline Interview with Steve Blum (Starscream)
- ComicsOnline Interview with Josh Keaton (Jack) and Tania Gunadi (Miko) at Comic-Con 2012
- ComicsOnline Interview with Ernie Hudson (Agent Fowler)
Unicron is defeated, but what was thought to be the end of the Autobots’ darkest hour is actually proving to be just the beginning! The centuries-old war rages on, pitting Optimus Prime (Peter Cullen) and his team of heroic Autobots, alongside their most trusted human allies, Jack, Miko, Raf and Special Agent Fowler (Ernie Hudson, Ghostbusters) against Megatron (Frank Welker) and his nefarious Decepticons. The action heats up with a boldly exciting climax you absolutely have to see to believe!
From Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, the writing team behind the megablockbuster Transformers feature films, and executive producer Jeff Kline comes a brand-new season of the Emmy Award winning series that Crave Online describes as the show die-hard fans have always wanted. Now you can catch all 26 episodes of the outrageous second season!