Press Release (Updated):
THE IMDboat SETS SAIL FOR COMIC-CON WITH HOST KEVIN SMITH, CELEBRITIES, TOP BRANDS, AND THE LAUNCH OF IMDb TICKETING, POWERED BY ATOM TICKETS
IMDb’s coverage of San Diego Comic-Con 2017 includes: exclusive interviews with top celebrities; a star-studded live show (IMDb LIVE At San Diego Comic-Con, Presented by XFINITY) that will be broadcast on IMDb, Twitch and Twitter; and the second-annual IMDboat Party
Select fans will have early (beta) access to play the not-yet-released Call of Duty WWII in The IMDb Fan Lounge on #IMDboat; IMDb street teams will be giving swag bags with special offers to fans on the streets of San Diego
SEATTLE, WA – July 10, 2017 – IMDb, the world’s most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content, today announced that for the second year in a row, writer/director/podcaster Kevin Smith will host original celebrity video interviews, the IMDboat party, a 90-minute live show, IMDb LIVE At San Diego Comic-Con, Presented by XFINITY, and other exclusive convention coverage aboard the IMDboat (#IMDboat) at San Diego Comic-Con® International 2017.
About IMDboat at San Diego Comic-Con
IMDboat, which is accessible by invitation only, will serve as a gateway to top entertainment brands and properties including Comcast’s XFINITY, Activision’s Call of Duty WWII, EuropaCorp’s Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets distributed by STXfilms, LEGO® Star Wars™ and Amazon Rapids by creating a must stop destination for talent, industry VIPs and fans. The boat will be docked at Fifth Avenue Landing, immediately behind the San Diego Convention Center, and opens to invited guests on Thursday, July 20.
Events on and around the IMDboat at Comic-Con include:
- From Thursday through Saturday (July 20-22), IMDb will produce original video coverage on the open-air top deck, including Kevin Smith’s interviews with the casts of Arrow, The Flash, Vikings, The Walking Dead and more.
- On Thursday (July 20) from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM in room 6A in the San Diego Convention Center, Kevin Smith will moderate IMDb’s first-ever Comic-Con panel, “Kevin Smith’s Comic Book Movie Trivia Mayhem Panel, Presented by comiXology and IMDb.” Kevin will be joined by a panel of pop culture expert contestants (including: Fatman on Batman’s Marc Bernardin; Julie and Shawna Benson, writers of The CW’s The 100; and DC Comics’ Batgirl and the Birds of Prey) who will play a competitive round of comic book movie trivia. Col Needham, IMDb founder and CEO, and comiXology CEO David Steinberger will judge the panel, awarding points based on the creativity of the answers.
- The second-annual IMDboat Party, Presented by XFINITY will take place on Friday (July 21) from 7:30 PM to 11 PM. Special guests include: Kevin Smith; notable celebrities; industry influencers; IMDb, Amazon Studios, Amazon Rapids, XFINITY, Atom Tickets, LEGO® Star Wars™, Twitch, STXfilms and SModCo executives; and more. This is an invitation-only event.
- From Thursday through Saturday (July 20-22) from 2 PM to 4 PM, select fans will have the opportunity to come aboard The IMDboat to relax and unwind in The IMDb Fan Lounge as space allows. The IMDb Fan Lounge will offer fans early (beta) access to play the new Call of Duty WWII before it hits stores and other special experiences. While aboard The IMDboat, fans can also get a closer look at Amazon Rapids, a children’s reading app featuring illustrated short stories told through the lens of characters chatting with each other.To be eligible for entry, fans can show a social post on one of their social media accounts featuring the #IMDboat hashtag at the check-in. Information about how to access the IMDboat will be provided by IMDb street teams as they distribute swag bags and interact with fans. Additionally, affiliate restaurants in downtown San Diego will also be distributing IMDb trivia coasters. Fans who post the correct answers to the questions featured on the IMDb trivia coasters to one of their social media accounts (along with the #IMDboat hashtag) will also be eligible for entry. Space is limited and during this time frame, fans will be admitted on a first come, first served basis. In addition, for the first time, convention goers will be able to watch Kevin Smith’s celebrity interviews and other exclusive IMDb Comic-Con coverage on a massive LED screen mounted to the IMDboat (facing the Convention Center).
- On Saturday (July 22), beginning at 3:30 PM Pacific time, Kevin Smith will host IMDb LIVE At San Diego Comic-Con, Presented by XFINITY, a 90-minute live-streaming show broadcast on IMDb, Twitch (twitch.tv/TwitchPresents), and Twitter. The show will feature Kevin Smith’s wrap-up analysis of the convention along with conversations with special celebrity guests.
- To celebrate the July 1, 2017 launch of IMDb Ticketing, Powered by Atom Tickets, IMDb street teams will be in heavy circulation in San Diego giving away swag bags to fans. In addition to other fan favorite items, the swag bags will contain Valerian and The City of a Thousand Planets-themed special offer cards (including a buy one ticket get one ticket free offer or a $5 off ticket purchase discount which fans can redeem when they purchase tickets to Valerian and The City of a Thousand Planets on IMDb’s website or mobile apps).
To follow IMDb’s exclusive Comic-Con coverage, which includes breaking news, expert analysis, original celebrity interviews, trending information, a 90-minute live show, field pieces shot around the convention (featuring fans, cosplay and top stories of the day), daily Comic-Con recaps, and more, visit http://www.imdb.com/comic-con, follow #IMDboat on Twitter or visit IMDb’s official Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/imdb), Snapchat (www.snapchat.com/add/imdblive) or Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/imdb/) accounts. Coverage will be accessible by IMDb’s more than 250 million unique monthly visitors worldwide via IMDb’s website, mobile apps and social media accounts (including Snapchat and You Tube). IMDb’s Comic-Con 2017 special section, located at http://www.imdb.com/comic-con features preview coverage, a welcome video message from Kevin Smith, an interview with Wil Wheaton and more.
To watch video highlights of IMDb’s original celebrity interviews aboard the The IMDboat at Comic-Con 2016, go to: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5831312/videoplayer/vi2319562521.
About The Launch of IMDb Ticketing, Powered By Atom Tickets
On July 1, 2017, IMDb (the #1 movie website in the world) and Atom Tickets (the cutting-edge mobile movie ticketing platform) launched IMDb Ticketing, Powered by Atom Tickets. Fans in the U.S. and Canada can now conveniently purchase movie tickets on IMDb.com, on IMDb’s mobile optimized website and on IMDb’s leading iOS and Android mobile apps.
IMDb Ticketing, Powered by Atom Tickets, offers fans the most convenient way to plan a night out at the movies. With this new service, fans can login and pay via their Amazon account, browse showtimes for movies in their area and skip the lines by purchasing tickets and preordering concessions (where available).
To learn more about IMDb Ticketing, Powered by Atom Tickets and buy tickets, go to: http://www.imdb.com/showtimes/.
About Kevin Smith
Kevin Smith first came to attention as the writer/director of a film called Clerks. It’s been all downhill ever since.
IMDb is the world’s most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. The IMDb consumer site (www.imdb.com) is the #1 movie website in the world with a combined web and mobile audience of more than 250 million unique monthly visitors. IMDb offers a searchable database of more than 185 million data items including more than 4 million movies, TV and entertainment programs and more than 6 million cast and crew members. Consumers rely on the information IMDb provides — including local movie showtimes, ticketing, trailers, critic and user reviews, personalized recommendations, photo galleries, entertainment news, quotes, trivia, box-office data, editorial feature sections and a universal Watchlist – when deciding what to watch and where to watch it. IMDb’s portfolio of leading entertainment apps (http://www.imdb.com/apps/) includes its popular “Movies & TV” app for iPhone, iPad, Kindle Fire, Android phones, Android tablets and its mobile-optimized website. To date, there have been more than 115 million downloads of IMDb’s mobile apps worldwide. IMDb’s X-Ray for Movies & TV Shows (www.imdb.com/x-ray) is a feature that revolutionizes the viewing experience by bringing the power of IMDb directly to Kindle Fire HD, Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. IMDb’s Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/imdb) and official Twitter account (https://twitter.com/imdb) are followed by more than 10 million passionate entertainment fans. IMDbPro (http://www.imdbpro.com) is the essential resource for entertainment industry professionals. This membership-based service includes comprehensive information and tools that are designed to help entertainment industry professionals achieve success throughout all stages of their career. IMDbPro offers members the following: detailed contact and representation information; IMDb profile management tools; exclusive STARmeter rankings that are determined by page views on IMDb; a casting service to post breakdowns and apply to roles, a mobile optimized website and more. Additionally, IMDb owns and operates Withoutabox (http://www.withoutabox.com), the premier submission service for film festivals and filmmakers, and Box Office Mojo (http://www.boxofficemojo.com), the leading online box-office reporting service. IMDb.com is operated by IMDb.com, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) (http://www.amazon.com). To learn more, go to: http://www.imdb.com/press.
Stay tuned to ComicsOnline.com for exclusive coverage from SDCC 2017, reviews, and everything geek pop culture!